Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday 8 October 2013

OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Yes, another Apple blog entry. I wanted to make entries for this blog as balanced as possible. However I've been thinking about the upcoming OS update for the Macs, and feel like I have to write about it. Please bear with me, I hope that my upcoming posts would be something far away from Apple.

Several months ago, Apple has announced two operating systems, one for its mobile platforms and one for its computers, iOS 7 and OSX 10.9 Mavericks respectively. The iOS7 have been launched last month together with its new iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C. 


There are also rumours saying that Apple was channelling its workforce to focus on the iOS 7. Thus making the launch of the new OSX is going to be a little bit late. From the looks of things, I hope that Apple does not deliver an unpolished product to us consumers.  


There aren't a lot of things have been upgraded / updated from the Mountain Lion (10.8) and Mavericks (10.9). Most of them are not essential, they only just an added bonus. New features added to the OS X 10.9 are shown in the picture above. What are these mumbo jumbo? I'll comment each and every new features from the top. 
iBooks: I never used this feature on my iDevices, and most probably won't be using it in the future. Even though I like new technologies, I do like to read non-technological things on a real paper (made from trees).
Maps: I don't think I'll use my Mac for directions. I think this feature is just a waste of time.
Calendar: They have been changing the calendars bit by bit each time they upgrade the OS. So I don't think it would change as much.
Safari: Same as the calendar, Safari have been getting upgrades. They can update it even without releasing a new OS.
iCloud Keychain: Well, this feature is suitable for those who don't like to key in their password each time being asked. However, if I were to use this feature, I would use it with caution.
Multiple Displays: This feature should've been in previous OS after all. Users have been complaining about the difficulties with Mountain Lion multiple display for quite some time.
Notifications: The new notification feature new ways to interact with latest update. You can reply on the spot. You can also receive updates while being away, and receive updates from sites that supports it.
Finder Tabs: This might be useful because it can save some screen real estate.
Tags: Macs spotlight have been terrific and all. Adding tags onto the system might make it even easier to find your files. However, I don't think I would use this feature, because tagging take a lot of time.
Advanced Technologies: It's actually saying that the new OS will use less power than its predecessor.
I don't give much attention to the above mentioned features. However, to me the "multiple displays" feature is an important one. There are a lot of problems doing multiple displays on Mountain Lion. Only now they have do it right (by copying other OS). 

So, will OS X Mavericks be a good upgrade? My short answer is "No", unless you would like to use multiple displays and/or you're using a portable Mac where preserving the battery life is crucial. For others, you can stick with your current OS, may it be a Mountain Lion, Lion or even Snow Leopard.

Mavericks is rumoured to be launched between 22nd to 28th of October 2013.

-- update --

Many websites have been reporting that Apple has released golden master version of the OS X Mavericks. The version is most likely to be the release version of 10.9.0, therefore it seems like Mavericks will be available to public very very soon (15 Oct perhaps?). I'll set aside £20 for a piece of the action.

-- update --

Here is the OS X 10.9 Mavericks WWDC keynote.

No comments:

Post a Comment